Victim may lose eye following violent robbery in North Philadelphia
NORTH PHILADELPHIA - May 30, 2013 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia police are asking for the public's help in identifying the suspects who robbed and beat a 26-year-old man, leaving him with severe facial injuries.
The incident took place at 2:30 a.m. Saturday at the New Nam Chang Restaurant located at 2136 West Oxford Avenue in North Philadelphia.
When police arrived they found the victim on the floor of the restaurant with severe injuries to his face and head.
Surveillance footage recovered from inside the restaurant shows one of suspects standing next to the victim, then suddenly lunging at the man, punching him in the head with what appeared to be brass knuckles.
The victim fell to the floor where the suspect continued to repeatedly punch him before taking the man's cash from his pockets.
While the beating was happening a second suspect can be seen on video opening the door from outside to check on the first suspect.
The first suspect then left the restaurant, only to return moments later to continue the assault, kicking the victim several more times.
Both suspects then fled the scene, crossing 22nd Street and entering a white or silver four-door vehicle.
The victim suffered a broken nose, orbital socket, and nasal passage, as well as lacerations. Police say the attending doctor feels the victim will lose his right eye as a result of his injuries.
The first suspect is described as black male, 18 to 25 years-of-age, short beard, wearing a blue Nike hooded jacket with a small emblem and blue jeans.
The second suspect is described as a black male, 25 to 30-years-of-age, stocky build, short afro, black puffy jacket with a white hood, jeans and black sneakers with white bottoms.
If you have any information about the identity or whereabouts of the suspects you are urged to contact police. To submit a tip by telephone, dial 215-686-8477, or text a tip to PPD TIP or 773847.
north philadelphia, philadelphia, robbery, assault, beating, local/state
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 23 min ago
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures from Del. River minivan plunge 48 min ago
- Delco man missing after leaving medical facility
- Rottweiler puppy poisoned in NJ
- Lehigh University suspends frat in vandalism case
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man
- Video: Parents outraged by faked kidnapping
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3...
23 min ago