World Wizard Comic-Con comes to Philadelphia
PHILADELPHIA - May 31, 2013 (WPVI) -- Superheroes and their fans are taking over the Pennsylvania Convention Center this weekend. That's where Philadelphia's Comic-Con is underway.
This year's Comic-Con is part of North America's largest pop culture touring expo! Vendors are showcasing the latest from the world of comics, movies and television.
Scooby-Doo's "Mystery Machine" is on display, along with the "General Lee" from the Dukes of Hazard. And get a close-up look at the 1966 Batmobile from the blockbuster movie.
While other forms of print media are declining, they say comics are timeless.
Vlad Yudin, co-producer of the graphic novel Headsmash, explains, "All the newspapers are dying - going out of business. But the graphic novels will always be here."
Another co-producer of Headsmash, Edwin Majia, tells us, "People want to have someone they can root for, and that's what comics do. They allow you to follow a personality or some that you aspire to be and they have some of the same weaknesses that we do."
Look for the movie "Headsmash" in 2014.
For fans it's an opportunity to get a sneak peak at films and shows months before they're released.
As far as turnout at the convention, Comic Con CEO John Macaluso says they expect, "Thousands upon thousands upon thousands through the weekend." Macaluso added, "They'll be treated to great celebrities and great artists."
Artists like Tommy Castillo, whose book is being made into next year's movie "Hundred Days of Death". And celebrities like the original Hulk, Lou Ferrigno.
"I'm excited to be back here in Philadelphia. I mean this is a place where you have to have a Comic Con," said Ferrigno.
World Wizard Comic-Con runs through Sunday.
For more information visit http://www.wizardworld.com/home-pa.html.
philadelphia, local/state, lisa thomas-laury
- Photos: LATEST MAPS: 6+" in parts of NJ
- Winter's Last Blast
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Video: Annie McCormick: Snow in Atlantic City
- Video: Katherine Scott: Snow in Delaware
- Video: Car spins out on I-95 in South Phila. 29 min ago
- Co-pilot spoke missing plane's last words 1 min ago
- Woman, 98, injured in Powelton high-rise fire
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Delaware man suspected in 14 different thefts
- NJ salon customer allegedly attacks employees
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash