Small plane hits power lines in Doylestown; pilot injured
DOYLESTOWN, Pa. - June 1, 2013 (WPVI) -- Witnesses say a single engine plane burst into flames after hitting power lines in Doylestown, Bucks County on Saturday.
Maggie Virsman of Chalfont saw the plane go down.
"It was a ball of flames and a bunch of black smoke," she said.
It was just before noon Saturday when the small plane, which had just taken off from nearby Doylestown Airport, crashed into a power line and fell in pieces onto the busy intersection at Route 313 and the Route 611 Bypass.
Virsman and her grandmother were buying a car at Thompson Toyota when everyone inside sprung into action to help.
"There was a woman down below screaming. It was hopeless until someone came to rescue," Virsman explained.
Crews responded quickly and shut down the roadway. Part of the plane was in the bushes, charred parts were everywhere, and witnesses say the pilot was seriously burned.
Fellow pilots at Doylestown Airport have identified the pilot but were not releasing his name. They say today was an open air day where pilots display their planes. This plane was unique.
The FAA describes the plane as a Wilson CRI-CRI, a single engine fixed wing aircraft. At Doylestown Airport flyers describe it as a homemade experimental aircraft.
It took off from Runway 23, but it only made it barely a mile.
According to Temple University Hospital the victim remains in critical condition.
plane crash, doylestown, bucks county, pennsylvania, local/state
- AccuWeather is Tracking More Snow 48 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 2 arrested for violent Center City attack 32 min ago
- Arrest in S. Phila. Christmas decoration theft
- Woman stabbed female cousin to death, police say
- Roy Halladay retiring as a Blue Jay
- 2 kids, 3 others injured in school bus crash
- Big storm dumps snow on East Coast
- US Airways, American merger complete 52 min ago
- Princeton begins meningitis B vaccinations
- Michael Carter-Williams released from hospital
- Photos: Pictures from Paul Walker memorial rally
- AccuWeather is Tracking More Snow
48 min ago