Cab drivers want safer working conditions in Philadelphia
CENTER CITY - June 4, 2013 (WPVI) -- Last month, a driver from All City Cab was gunned down and killed.
On Tuesday, drivers from that company met with police brass to show them a new surveillance system the company plans to implement, and to discuss ways police and drivers can work together.
All City Cab supervisor Khalid Albee displayed the new cameras set to be installed in his company's taxis.
"Certainly the video is going to be, without question, helpful," said Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey.
Albee and co-workers met with Ramsey Tuesday. Also in attendance was the 7-year-old daughter of a cab driver gunned down and killed inside his cab during a robbery attempt last month in West Philadelphia.
Tuesday morning, a driver from the Germantown Cab Company was shot during another robbery attempt.
The Philadelphia Parking Authority, which oversees taxis, said the cab did not have a bullet-resistant partition, as required. The PPA says Germantown Cab is often out of compliance and in litigation with the city.
A PPA spokesman said the authority was unaware of All City's plan, and any cameras will need to be approved. But he also said such a plan will likely be fast-tracked.
Ramsey said an alert system for drivers was also discussed.
"We need to sit down and come up with a strategy, and really have a full understanding of what it is we are trying to accomplish, who's responsible for what, and then get the right people in the room," he said.
Action News reached out to the Germantown Cab Company, but management did not return our phone calls.
shooting, robbery, east mount airy, philadelphia, local/state
- Hit and run victim found near Wilmington road 46 min ago
- Periods of rain today, getting cooler 27 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Would-be robber stabbed; suspect's mom talks
- Funeral for Nelson Mandela to be held Dec. 15th 36 min ago
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- Video: Jim Gardner recalls visiting Mandela's cell
- Center City rape victim speaks to Action News
- Police question suspect in Christmas package theft 29 min ago
- Reward offered after dogs found in trash bags
- Charges filed in alleged chop shop raid in N. Phila. 30 min ago
- Feds accused of targeting minorities in stash house stings
- 2 women hospitalized after Schuylkill Expy. crash
- Hit and run victim found near Wilmington road
46 min ago
- Police question suspect in Christmas...
29 min ago