Princeton University reopens after bomb threat
PRINCETON, N.J. - June 11, 2013 (WPVI) -- A phoned-in bomb threat forced Princeton University to shutter its campus for several hours Tuesday, but it later reopened after an extensive search by law enforcement officials turned up no explosives.
The school received the threat against multiple buildings around 9 a.m. and decided to evacuate just before 10:30 a.m., Princeton spokesman Martin Mbugua said, noting that officials at the New Jersey Ivy League university took that time to assess the threat.
Sources told Action News that the person who called in the bomb threat was a "known caller," and the threat was credible.
Nearly 7,000 students, faculty and university workers were evacuated from the campus and off-campus buildings. Faculty and staff were sent home, while students were told to go to nearby public places.
The evacuation order then remained in place for nearly eight hours as the university's Public Safety department worked with multiple law enforcement agencies to sweep numerous campus buildings with bomb-sniffing dogs.
Later, Princeton issued a statement saying the bomb threat was one of a number of threats around the country Tuesday. But a university spokesman said he was unaware of anything linking them.
No classes were in session Tuesday, though some summer programs were.
Brandon Blau, 20, a chemistry major from Long Island, N.Y., was in a lab working on research when the threat was announced. By the afternoon, he and fellow chemistry students were hanging out on a street near campus, checking a laptop for updates on when they could return.
"You want to be safe about it, but we also want to get back on campus," Blau said. He and his friends are doing research this summer.
Fellow chemistry major Hudson Beard, 21, of Abilene, Texas, said the reported threat was unusual enough that they realized it needed to be taken seriously. He joked that the threat had at least brought some excitement to the campus while most students are on summer vacation.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
new jersey, mercer county, princeton, bomb scare, local/state
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos