Philadelphia abortion doctor back in court for drug plea
PHILADELPHIA (AP) - June 12, 2013 (WPVI) -- A Philadelphia abortion provider already serving a life term in the deaths of three babies is due in federal court Wednesday to plead guilty to drug charges.
Authorities say Dr. Kermit Gosnell ran a "pill mill" by day and a rogue "abortion mill" by night.
His high-profile murder trial this spring came after federal drug agents raided his West Philadelphia clinic in 2010. They charged him with selling prescriptions for OxyContin and other painkillers to people who lined up at the front desk.
A state jury last month convicted the 72-year-old doctor of three counts of first-degree murder for killing babies after they were born alive.
Defense lawyer Jack McMahon has said Gosnell will plead guilty to the drug charges, given the outcome of the murder case.
abortion, philadelphia, local/state
- Cold today, Saturday looks snowy
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Chase ends near Sports Complex; suspects sought
- Carjack suspect in custody in SW Phila. 36 min ago
- Driver crashes into police cruiser in Wilmington 24 min ago
- 2 injured in Vineland school bus crash
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J.
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering
- Woman admits to stealing packages from Delco homes
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in Poconos
- Video: Flyers fans receive greatest Christmas gift
- Beyonce releases new album on iTunes
- Carjack suspect in custody in SW Phila.
36 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos