Husband and wife face murder trial in 2nd faith-healing death
PHILADELPHIA (AP) - June 12, 2013 (WPVI) -- A Philadelphia couple who believes in faith healing over medicine faces a murder trial in the pneumonia death of their second son in three years.
Herbert and Catherine Schaible are being held on third-degree murder charges after Wednesday's preliminary hearing.
Two-year-old Kent died in 2009, followed by 8-month-old Brandon in April. Both boys died of pneumonia after a two-week illness.
The Schaibles belong to a Pentecostal church that believes in "divine healing," according to police statements read in court.
Jurors convicted the parents of involuntary manslaughter in Kent's death. That led to 10 years of probation and orders to seek medical care if another child became sick.
The couple's seven surviving children are now in foster care.
The Schaibles' lawyers say they had no intent to harm their children.
child death, pennsylvania, local/state
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard 16 min ago
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill 27 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County 36 min ago
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco 29 min ago
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge 31 min ago
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
27 min ago
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239...
16 min ago
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun...
31 min ago
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County
36 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos