Possible IBM layoffs locally
RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK -- Layoff notices went out to thousands of IBM employees worldwide Wednesday.
The company, one of the original tenants in RTP, brings big business to our area.
Right now, it is not known exactly how many layoffs will happen locally.
Based on a cost cutting figure given by IBM earlier this year, some major business publications are reporting the number could be 6,000 to 8,000 worldwide. IBM is notoriously tight lipped, however.
A spokesperson for the IBM operation in RTP would only resend a company statement that says in a highly competitive environment some level of workforce remix is a constant requirement.
However, word is out around RTP that there will be some layoffs locally.
IBM has not filed any layoff notices with the state.
research triangle park, local/state, ed crump
- Snow/ Sleet Arriving 51 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Wintry weather forecast maps 45 min ago
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- PennDOT preps begin ahead of wintry mix
- Police: Son of PHA employee charged with DUI
- Body found in Logan tire fire
- $10K reward in murder of Chester gas station owner
- South Africans hold day of prayer for Mandela 29 min ago
- Suspects sought in Glenside carjacking, abduction
- Police: Pa. newlyweds killed man from Craigslist
- NJ officers play Santa for 'Shop with a Cop'
- Snow/ Sleet Arriving
51 min ago