Durham girl testifies in alleged child sex trafficking case
DURHAM, N.C. -- A Durham teenager detailed how she was lured away from her family on social media and kidnapped in a court room Wednesday.
Two men are accused of running a possible child sex trafficking ring. Authorities say 20-year-old Ryan Wurvel and 22-year-old Hang Wu were in a stolen car and were moving teens across the country. Deputies said it was mostly teenage girls and that child sex trafficking was potentially taking place.
The 14-year-old girl from Durham said she met Wurvel on a website called Experience Project. The website is a forum for teens who want to runaway. She then started chatting with Wu and Wurvel on Skype.
Wu and Wurvel came to her house at 3 a.m. and the teen said they were heading to California to go camping until they could find jobs. The group planned to pick up other teens along the way and was going to stop at an older man's house in Arizona.
The car was pulled over May 30 and there were runaway teens inside the car. According to the Sheriff's Office there were four girls, and one boy. They came from Michigan, Maryland, Pennsylvania, along with the girl from Durham.
Wu and Wurvel were arrested two weeks ago and are being held in the Durham County Jail.
The case is heading to a Grand Jury. The defense estimates the case will take place by end of the month.
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater 3 min ago
- Clouds to sun, cool today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry 57 min ago
- Popular chocolate maker reopens in time for Easter
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- Penn State police: 3 posed nude at Nittany shrine
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- 'GMA' promotes Lara Spencer to co-host 11 min ago
- Hate messages sprayed on W. Amwell business
12 min ago