Fed up with Fayettenam, city leaders break ground
FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. -- A $15 million improvement project is underway in Fayetteville.
The city wants to spruce things up and make the gateway to the downtown area more welcoming for visitors and the locals.
For decades 301 Bragg Boulevard became infamous as a prostitution hub. In 2006, the City of Fayetteville bought the old Days Inn property.
The chairman of H&H Homes began envisioning an investment.
"It was just a place in the city that looked horrible that needed to look nice," H&H Homes Chairman Ralph Huff said.
The new project will include a luxury, multi-million dollar townhome and condo development called Park View. Units are already selling and the ground has been broken to begin construction.
"There is $30 million worth of parks and museums across the street that, in a way, is an amenity to this site," Huff said.
The city, along with H&H Homes is hoping to get rid of the old "Fayettenam" stereotype.
"The fact that people want to build and live in downtown, you know it's proof. It's proof that this is a livable community down here," Fayetteville city manager Ted Voorhees said.
The improvements continue next month, as the city unveils the plans for a swanky transit hub.
cumberland county, local/state, nicole carr
- Coffins unearthed at North Philly school 23 min ago
- Temps soar above normal
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings 18 min ago
- Pedestrian struck and killed in Mercer County
- Kutztown coach accused of covering up teen's rape 27 min ago
- Man struck by SEPTA bus in Wynnefield Heights
- Attack in Center City caught on camera 11 min ago
- Police: Threat to father used in phone scam 17 min ago
- Burglary suspect nabbed by quick-thinking neighbor 57 min ago
- Suspect in killing of fmr. Marine surrenders
- Newtown 911 dispatcher urged callers to take cover
- Researchers: 'Fit and Fat' a myth 47 min ago
- Walker autopsy complete; 'Fast & Furious 7' halted
- Coffins unearthed at North Philly school
23 min ago
- Kutztown coach accused of covering up...
27 min ago
- Attack in Center City caught on camera
11 min ago