Couple sentenced to classes after girl's dog cage ride on Pa. Turnpike
MILLVALE, Pa. - June 14, 2013 (WPVI) -- A western Pennsylvania woman and her boyfriend must take parenting classes after they let the woman's 10-year-old daughter ride in a dog cage in the back of a pickup on the Pennsylvania Turnpike.
Defense attorney Komron Jon Maknoon said Abby Carlson, 29, and Thomas Fissinger, 33, both of Millvale, didn't mean to commit a crime on May 27. They simply let the girl ride in the cage, which was tied down, because she wanted to be with the dog inside it.
At a hearing Thursday, District Judge Robert Dzvonick agreed that the couple didn't intend to mistreat the girl but suggested that the case involved "two adults listening to a 10-year old kid."
Dzvonick gave the couple six weeks to take the classes, after which the charges could be dismissed. "God forbid your daughter asks for a Corvette and you go out and rob a bank," Dzvonick added.
The police officer who stopped the pickup after another motorist filed a complaint said there were no allegations of speeding or reckless driving.
The girl's grandmother has full custody of the child.
pennsylvania, pa turnpike, local/state
- AccuWeather is Tracking More Snow
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Roy Halladay retiring as a Blue Jay
- Big storm dumps snow on East Coast
- US Airways, American merger complete
- Princeton begins meningitis B vaccinations
- Obama heading to South Africa
- Transformer fire sparks SEPTA delays
- Police: Man wasn't at casino before being shot 1 min ago
- 1 dead, 50+ vehicles involved in Pa. Turnpike crashes
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Photos: Pictures from Paul Walker memorial rally
- Police: Man wasn't at casino before being...
1 min ago