Vietnam vets set up memorial for Flag Day in Levittown
LEVITTOWN, Pa. - June 14, 2013 (WPVI) -- Dozens of volunteers from the Delaware Valley Vietnam Veterans organization spent Flag Day at Mill Creek Park in Levittown.
There, the vets planted 58,000 small flags, one for every American killed or missing in action during the war.
"If it wasn't for these people here that we plant flags for, we wouldn't have what we have," said Ferdie Tellado of Levittown.
The flag memorial mirrors the size and shape of the Vietnam Memorial in Washington, D.C. and also has a circled star to honor those killed and serving in Iraq and Afghanistan.
The memorial is named for Donald Jones' late father.
"This organization has been my support group and I just try to carry on what he wanted," Jones said.
Army veteran John Kendrick gets emotional remembering his buddies who didn't come back.
"A flag represents each one of the people I know that [lost] their lives there and i'm just glad everybody now appreciates it," said Kendrick.
"These gentlemen were 19-20 years of age and they didn't have the opportunity I did. I'm a combat wounded veteran and i did come home and I have four beautiful children," said Joe Hogan of Levittown.
Each year Joe Hanak writes a message on one of the flags he plants to his late fathe, a veteran. This year it says "Love you dad, miss you."
There are activities at the memorial site all weekend including a concert and motorcycle rally.
pennsylvania, bucks county, veterans, military, local/state, nora muchanic
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle
- AccuWeather: Tracking light snow tonight 20 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash 30 min ago
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car 25 min ago
- Police: Man strikes own brother in hit and run
- Berks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas
- 1 wounded in Lakewood drive-by shooting 55 min ago
- 2 men, sitting in SUV, shot in Chester
- 2 women injured in Overbrook fire
- Crimea votes on Ukraine secession
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids
- AccuWeather: Tracking light snow tonight
20 min ago
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by...
25 min ago