Neighborhood entrepreneurs cash in on the U.S. Open
ARDMORE, Pa. - June 14, 2013 (WPVI) -- The U.S. Open is proving the point that where there is demand, there will be supply. And Action News has found that some neighborhood entrepreneurs are getting very creative.
So what do you notice as you approach the area around the Merion Golf Club?
Signs that welcome golf fans, the golf fans themselves, road closures, shuttle buses and lots of police.
You also notice it seems like anyone who can is offering to let you park your car on their front lawn if need be. Depending on location, the tab runs anywhere from $30 to $60.
To stand out in the crowd, Libby Boyle of Ardmore dances a bit. She says it's for a good cause: her college fund.
"My dad had this great idea, and I need money for college," she said.
Not everyone coming here to watch the golfers are inside the club. We found people sneaking a peak along Darby Road.
Far more comfortable were some other folks, invited to Patrick and Ann Murphy's home.
"These are all friends and family, a lot of Bonner guys, a lot of local guys, a lot of St. Dennis parshioners," said Patrick.
The Murphys' back yard literally abuts the storied Merion Golf Club, and so every player passes within a few feet of a reviewing stand in the Murphy's yard.
"Right on the 10th tee. The 9th green is right there, got a great view of that. And you watch the drives on the 10th. You can't beat it," said Pat White of Havertown.
"This is a million-dollar view. The hardest part for me is keeping quiet, because we're right behind these guys. We're so close, it's tough. We need discipline," said Mike Shallow of Havertown.
pennsylvania, golf, u.s. open, local/state, john rawlins
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat 27 min ago
- Sunny and Cooler!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia 26 min ago
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
27 min ago