Worker falls through roof, injures 12-year-old girl
PHILADELPHIA - June 15, 2013 (WPVI) -- A 12-year-old girl in Bustleton was injured when a worker fell through the roof of her apartment building.
It happened just before 11:00 a.m. Saturday at the Krewstown Park Apartments on the 8800 block of Krewstown Road.
Police say the 38-year-old worker was fixing a leak on the roof of building F.
That's when he crashed through injuring 12-year-old Maya Pur, who was in the living room watching Saturday morning cartoons.
"It's amazing how she was sitting right there and he came right down on her head. You don't know what to imagine, I was five miles away from home but I came flying here," said Jay Roshko, stepfather.
If the incident wasn't already bad enough, investigators say 60-year-old John Kravchak of Collingdale, the owner of the roofing company, lied to them and claimed he fell through the roof, not his worker.
"When I talked to my stepdaughter, she pointed out the window and told the police officers that was the guy. They actually exchanged clothes with each other," said Roshko.
Pur was taken to the hospital with a concussion and other injuries. The worker was not seriously injured.
Action News reached out to the apartment's property manager Liss Property Group to ask about Kravchak but they did not have a response.
We also reached out to Kravchak, who was spotted as he was released from Northeast Detectives, but he also declined to speak.
Pur's stepfather says at this point he's focused on her recovery.
"She could have died, she is 12-years-old. She weighs 100 pounds, the guy probably weighs 200. If she was two inches to the left he could have broke her neck and really hurt her," said Roshko.
Meanwhile, sources say there could be an insurance or permitting issue.
Action News has learned that the Krewstown Park Apartments has had about 50 L&I violations since 2010.
The incident remains under investigation.
accident, philadelphia, local/state
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Record Weekend Warmth
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- 1 dead after car plunges into lake in Vineland
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos