Local naval airman reunites with family over baseball
CAMDEN, N.J. - June 15, 2013 (WPVI) -- Airman Shawn Grose is reunited with his family thanks to America's pastime.
The former Pennsbury High baseball standout stood on the mound pitching for the USA's Military All-Star team.
"Feels great, I'm glad to be back on American soil," said Airman Grose.
His all-star cheering squad was led by his mom, who got to see him play for the first time in a long time.
"It was only a week ago I found out he'd be here," said Donna Bartkowski, mom.
"We originally were deployed for eight months then got back out. This is the first time I've seen my mom in a year and a half now," said Airman Grose.
The airman, attached to the USS Eisenhower, was deployed overseas twice.
However he was brought back home for the sole purpose of playing on the All-Stars baseball team and touring the country.
Grose will be reassigned when their season is done.
"He's been a blessing, very nice guy, very humble, just a bulldog," said Karl Seiter.
The team's general manager appreciates his Grose's skills and so do his fellow shipmen.
Grose created a baseball team on the ship. They practice, then play when they dock.
It's something that doesn't come as a surprise to his family.
"Baseball has always been his passion and it's been a part of our life as a family," said Bartkowski.
Saturday's event was all organized by Homers for Hope, an organization that donates money to military families that need a little extra help.
For more on the organization visit homersforhope.org
new jersey, camden, military, local/state, annie mccormick
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight 7 min ago
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ