Girl, 4, dies after crash that killed father in Hamilton Twp.
HAMILTON TWP., N.J. - June 17, 2013 (WPVI) -- A four-year-old girl has died after a head-on crash in Hamilton Township, Mercer County over the weekend that also took the life of her father. The other driver involved in the crash is accused of DUI.
Jasmine Deleon was taken off life support around 2:00 p.m. Monday at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia after her mother made the decision to donate her organs.
The girl was surrounded by loved ones as she passed away, her family said.
Jasmine's cousin, Jennifer Vicuna, held onto a plaster cast imprint of the child's hand as she talked about the four-year-old girl.
"She was a happy little girl, always running around; she didn't deserve this. She was only four years old. It wasn't right," Vicuna said.
Jasmine's father, 28-year-old Jorge Deleon, of Trenton, died at the scene of the crash on Route 29 around 3:30 a.m. Sunday.
Police say they, along with Deleon's seven-year-old son, were coming home from a baby shower in their minivan when it was hit head-on by a Dodge Durango that was being driven the wrong way by 27-year-old Manuel Gutierrez-Vazquez.
Gutierrez-Vazquez is charged with DUI, death by automobile, aggravated assault, operating a motor vehicle while unlicensed causing death and serious bodily injury.
Police say tests are pending to determine what Gutierrez-Vazquez was under the influence of.
He also faces federal charges from the Immigration Customs and Enforcement Agency.
Gutierrez-Vazquez is at Mercer County Jail on $250,000.
Jasmine's mother decided to donate her daughter's organs in hopes she can now save the life of another child.
"The mom made the decision for the organs because we think that's the nice thing, give the life for the other people," cousin Eddinson Deleon said.
"Knowing that her daughter's gone now, [Jasmine] can live with somebody else," Vicuna said.
Deleon's seven-year-old son, Luis Mario, suffered cuts and a broken arm.
(Note: The family had said Jasmine Deleon had died on Sunday afternoon, but later corrected their statement to say she was on life support.)
new jersey, mercer county, accident, local/state
- 3 beach homes destroyed in Sea Isle City fire 10 min ago
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire 23 min ago
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry 38 min ago
- Popular chocolate maker reopens in time for Easter
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- Penn State police: 3 posed nude at Nittany shrine
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- Hate messages sprayed on W. Amwell business
36 min ago