Princeton student crowned Miss New Jersey
OCEAN CITY, N.J. - June 16, 2013 (WPVI) -- A Princeton University student has captured the Miss New Jersey crown and earned a spot in the Miss America pageant when it to Atlantic City later this year.
The Press of Atlantic City reports 20-year-old Cara McCollum captured the title Saturday night in Ocean City. She was competing as Miss Island Resort.
McCollum will receive an $11,000 scholarship and a place in the Miss America pageant on September 15. Pageant officials say they are handing out about $35,000 total in scholarships overall.
The Arkansas native plans to advocate for youth literacy.
McCollum bested 22 other contestants. Brenna Weick, of Mantua, Gloucester County, was first runner-up.
Last year's winner was Lindsey Petrosh of Egg Harbor City.
new jersey, ocean city, miss america, local/state
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Easter Sunshine Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Elderly man struck, killed in Rhawnhurst
- Sex assault on West Chester University campus
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search called off
- Crimefighters: Reward in Camden drive-thru murder
- Divers pull more bodies from South Korean ferry
- No cause yet in 7-alarm Sea Isle City fire
- Good Samaritans help nab alleged purse snatchers
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police