Father, son injured after van veers onto sidewalk in Center City
CENTER CITY - June 16, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police are investigating an accident in Center City that injured a father and his 4-year-old son on Father's Day.
Accident investigators are on the scene questioning the driver of the van witnesses say hit a patrol car before striking the man and his son right around 4:30 p.m.
Witnesses say the two didn't have a chance to escape the out of control vehicle which slammed right into them at 19th and Arch Streets in Center City.
Witness Jenny Cole of South Philadelphia says the driver of the van ran the red light striking the patrol car of a 9th district police officer.
"I just heard screeching tires, so I looked up and I literally saw this man plow over the father and the tiny child. To me, it looked like they were completely smashed," Cole said.
Cole says after the van hit the father and son, the man was pinned under the fence of a construction site on the corner.
She worked to calm down the man who was in excruciating pain before paramedics got there to get him on a stretcher.
Cole stayed by the side of his small son who was taken away by ambulance to Children's Hospital of Philadelphia in stable condition.
"I ran over frantic expecting to see two dead people. I see the boy crawling out. He was fine. I'm sure he has some bruises, but he was fine. The dad's leg was like broken in half, but he was alive, too. I've never seen anything like it. It was crazy," Cole said.
The 38-year-old father is in fair condition at Hahnemann University Hospital
The 9th District officer inside the police vehicle was also transported to Hahnemann with some back injuries.
The driver of that van wasn't hurt and charges are pending.
Action News is told he was in town from Maryland, visiting his son for Father's Day weekend
philadelphia, center city, accident, police, pedestrian struck, local/state
- Photos: Maps of Monday's expected snow
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Students evacuated in Camden H.S. gas leak
- 3 injured in 2-alarm fire in Holmesburg 39 min ago
- Family displaced in Wilmington house fire
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL 6 min ago
- Investigator: Missing plane flew over Malaysia
- SEPTA union agrees to keep working 16 min ago
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- Teen father arrested for biting nose off infant
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Video: Pastor collapses, dies, after admitting...
- SEPTA union agrees to keep working
16 min ago
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
6 min ago