Man convicted in fatal NJ baseball bat attack
CAPE MAY COURT HOUSE, N.J. - June 17, 2013 (WPVI) -- A homeless man has been convicted of fatally beating a New Jersey college student with a baseball bat because he thought the teen was laughing at him.
A judge found Alberto Martinez guilty of murder in a bench trial that concluded Monday. He faces a life term when he's sentenced July 30.
Cape May County prosecutors said Martinez struck 19-year-old Vincent DeSario in the head with a baseball bat in May 2010 in Wildwood.
DeSario was with a group of men walking along the street when one of them tripped, causing them to laugh.
Witnesses said Martinez angrily approached the group and swung the bat, hitting DeSario. He was initially charged with aggravated assault. The charge was upgraded after DeSario died two weeks later.
cape may county, new jersey, homicide, homeless, beating, local/state
- Apartments evacuated in Bucks Co. hazmat investigation 43 min ago
- Sunny and Cooler!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ