Man convicted in fatal NJ baseball bat attack
CAPE MAY COURT HOUSE, N.J. - June 17, 2013 (WPVI) -- A homeless man has been convicted of fatally beating a New Jersey college student with a baseball bat because he thought the teen was laughing at him.
A judge found Alberto Martinez guilty of murder in a bench trial that concluded Monday. He faces a life term when he's sentenced July 30.
Cape May County prosecutors said Martinez struck 19-year-old Vincent DeSario in the head with a baseball bat in May 2010 in Wildwood.
DeSario was with a group of men walking along the street when one of them tripped, causing them to laugh.
Witnesses said Martinez angrily approached the group and swung the bat, hitting DeSario. He was initially charged with aggravated assault. The charge was upgraded after DeSario died two weeks later.
cape may county, new jersey, homicide, homeless, beating, local/state
- 4 charged with murder in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- Police investigate tire slashings in South Philadelphia
- Police investigate truck accident on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Police investigate double shooting in Mantua
- 3 rescued after car plunges into Delaware pond
- Multi-vehicle crash on Schuylkill Expressway
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish