2 Philly skyscrapers light up for SS United States
PHILADELPHIA - June 17, 2013 (WPVI) -- A pair of Philadelphia skyscrapers are lighting up to show support for the SS United States.
For three nights starting Monday, the PECO Building and Cira Centre will both light up with colorful graphics and messages encouraging viewers to help the troubled ship that's been sitting gutted on the Delaware River for nearly two decades.
Supporters worry it soon could be sold for scrap if funds aren't raised soon.
The PECO Building will display a color graphic of the ship on its wraparound marquee. The Cira Center's facade will light up in the shape of a giant red, white and blue funnel - the ship's most distinctive feature.
The SS United States carried more than 1 million passengers from 1952 to 1969.
SS United States: http://www.savetheunitedstates.org
- Standoff leaves 1 dead, several in custody 57 min ago
- AccuWeather: Very warm today, very cold tonight 22 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2 men shot inside Feltonville bar
- Triple shooting leaves 1 dead in West Oak Lane
- Family of 5 escapes house fire in New Castle 24 min ago
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown
- Couple attacked by cat say they'll get it help
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases
- Family of 5 escapes house fire in New Castle
24 min ago
- Standoff leaves 1 dead, several in custody
57 min ago