2 Philly skyscrapers light up for SS United States
PHILADELPHIA - June 17, 2013 (WPVI) -- A pair of Philadelphia skyscrapers are lighting up to show support for the SS United States.
For three nights starting Monday, the PECO Building and Cira Centre will both light up with colorful graphics and messages encouraging viewers to help the troubled ship that's been sitting gutted on the Delaware River for nearly two decades.
Supporters worry it soon could be sold for scrap if funds aren't raised soon.
The PECO Building will display a color graphic of the ship on its wraparound marquee. The Cira Center's facade will light up in the shape of a giant red, white and blue funnel - the ship's most distinctive feature.
The SS United States carried more than 1 million passengers from 1952 to 1969.
SS United States: http://www.savetheunitedstates.org
- 3 beach homes destroyed in Sea Isle City fire
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend 52 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire 31 min ago
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry
- Popular chocolate maker reopens in time for Easter
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist 49 min ago
- Penn State police: 3 posed nude at Nittany shrine
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest