2 Philly skyscrapers light up for SS United States
PHILADELPHIA - June 17, 2013 (WPVI) -- A pair of Philadelphia skyscrapers are lighting up to show support for the SS United States.
For three nights starting Monday, the PECO Building and Cira Centre will both light up with colorful graphics and messages encouraging viewers to help the troubled ship that's been sitting gutted on the Delaware River for nearly two decades.
Supporters worry it soon could be sold for scrap if funds aren't raised soon.
The PECO Building will display a color graphic of the ship on its wraparound marquee. The Cira Center's facade will light up in the shape of a giant red, white and blue funnel - the ship's most distinctive feature.
The SS United States carried more than 1 million passengers from 1952 to 1969.
SS United States: http://www.savetheunitedstates.org
- 3 frigid days, another weekend storm 38 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- Woman killed in Germantown was Villanova prof. 29 min ago
- Limo driver charged in wreck that killed newlyweds
- Possible abduction caught on camera in Spring Garden
- Cab driver carjacked in South Philadelphia
- Pope Francis 'Person of the Year'; popularity surges
- Stranded family found alive in Nevada
- Fake deaf interpreter crashes Mandela memorial
- Police: Mom was DUI in chain-reaction crash
- Photos: Pictures from the winter storm
- Photos: Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013 (Photos)
- 3 frigid days, another weekend storm
38 min ago