Reading Hospital ordered to pay $1.72M in death of 2-year-old girl
READING, Pa. - June 18, 2013 (WPVI) -- A jury in Berks County has awarded a couple $1.72 million in a malpractice case involving their 2-year-old daughter who died after contracting bacterial meningitis.
The Reading Eagle reports jurors voted 10-2 late Friday in favor of Anna and Charles Takacs, who sued Reading Hospital and Dr. Duane Siberski after their daughter, Emma, died in September 2009 of respiratory failure.
The couple's attorney had argued during a weeklong trial that the hospital neglected to perform tests to rule out the possibility that the girl had a serious bacterial infection. The hospital's lawyer, Edwin L. Stock, argued the hospital wasn't negligent because Siberski properly cared for the child.
The jury awarded the couple $860,000 for their daughter's future lost earnings and $860,000 for pain and suffering.
Information from: Reading Eagle, http://www.readingeagle.com/
berks county, reading, lawsuit, pennsylvania, local/state
- Prosecutors: 4 held in deadly NJ mall carjacking 18 min ago
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- Police investigate tire slashings in South Philadelphia 29 min ago
- Police investigate truck accident on Roosevelt Boulevard 39 min ago
- Police investigate double shooting in Mantua 39 min ago
- 3 rescued after car plunges into Delaware pond 26 min ago
- Multi-vehicle crash on Schuylkill Expressway
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- Prosecutors: 4 held in deadly NJ mall...
18 min ago
- Police investigate tire slashings in South...
29 min ago