Paraplegic man castrated in Southwest Philadelphia attack
SOUTHWEST PHILADELPHIA - June 18, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police say a paraplegic man was castrated during an attack in Southwest Philadelphia.
Police say it was a gruesome attack inside the Inglis Apartments at Elmwood in the 6200 block of Eastwick Avenue.
41-year-old Edgar Bonilla went up to a third floor apartment around 7:15 p.m. Monday.
An argument ensued with the 40-year-old victim, who is a paraplegic. Bonilla allegedly then pulled a knife, stabbed the victim multiple times, then castrated him.
"It's a very shocking crime," said John Walker of Philadelphia Police Southwest Detectives, "and something I haven't seen in my time in law enforcement."
Investigators say Bonilla was visiting a female friend who also lives in the apartments. She, too, is paralyzed, and all three apparently were friends.
"It appears as though our victim and the female had some sort of issue that the defendant believed he could handle and settle," said Walker. "And unfortunately it turned into this horrific event that occurred."
The Inglis Apartments At Elmwood is an assisted living facility. We tried to talk with residents. None wanted to comment, but all were aware of the gruesome attack.
The victim remains in critical condition at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
Bonilla is now charged with attempted murder, aggravated assault and robbery for stealing the victim's medication. .
He is being held on $5 million bail with a court hearing set for July 2nd.
philadelphia, southwest philadelphia, local/state
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge 31 min ago
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman 4 min ago
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco 29 min ago
- Police car crash leads to chase in N. Phila. 34 min ago
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Phila. police seek missing special needs woman 2 min ago
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Gun falls out of sock, kills thrift store worker
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more