Paraplegic man castrated in Southwest Philadelphia attack
SOUTHWEST PHILADELPHIA - June 18, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police say a paraplegic man was castrated during an attack in Southwest Philadelphia.
Police say it was a gruesome attack inside the Inglis Apartments at Elmwood in the 6200 block of Eastwick Avenue.
41-year-old Edgar Bonilla went up to a third floor apartment around 7:15 p.m. Monday.
An argument ensued with the 40-year-old victim, who is a paraplegic. Bonilla allegedly then pulled a knife, stabbed the victim multiple times, then castrated him.
"It's a very shocking crime," said John Walker of Philadelphia Police Southwest Detectives, "and something I haven't seen in my time in law enforcement."
Investigators say Bonilla was visiting a female friend who also lives in the apartments. She, too, is paralyzed, and all three apparently were friends.
"It appears as though our victim and the female had some sort of issue that the defendant believed he could handle and settle," said Walker. "And unfortunately it turned into this horrific event that occurred."
The Inglis Apartments At Elmwood is an assisted living facility. We tried to talk with residents. None wanted to comment, but all were aware of the gruesome attack.
The victim remains in critical condition at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
Bonilla is now charged with attempted murder, aggravated assault and robbery for stealing the victim's medication. .
He is being held on $5 million bail with a court hearing set for July 2nd.
philadelphia, southwest philadelphia, local/state
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Warmer Weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested 36 min ago
- SEPTA spreads holiday cheer with toy drive
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- Fmr. Montco GOP chairman to stand trial for rape
- Pa. Turnpike reopens after multi-vehicle crash
- Dealer charged with selling Sandy damaged cars
- Bishop McDevitt HS student robbed at gunpoint
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ 26 min ago
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ
26 min ago