City Council to exceed Philadelphia schools' funding request
PHILADELPHIA - June 18, 2013 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia City Council said Tuesday it expects to exceed a funding request by the Philadelphia School District.
Council President Darrell Clarke said with legislation passed that raises taxes on tobacco, the city expects to deliver an additional $74.4 million to the schools.
The district had requested $60 million, to help cover a $304 million budget deficit.
More than 3800 school district employees will be laid off on June 30th.
philadelphia, school, philadelphia school district, local/state
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Easter Sunshine Sunday 42 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard 48 min ago
- Elderly man struck, killed in Rhawnhurst
- Sex assault on West Chester University campus
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search called off
- Crimefighters: Reward in Camden drive-thru murder 45 min ago
- Divers pull more bodies from South Korean ferry
- No cause yet in 7-alarm Sea Isle City fire
- Good Samaritans help nab alleged purse snatchers
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Easter Sunshine Sunday
42 min ago