US: Unruly traveler on Newark flight had worked at State Department
NEWARK, N.J. (AP) - June 18, 2013 (WPVI) -- A State Department spokeswoman says a man who ranted about national security and repeatedly screamed "I'm dead" during a flight from Hong Kong to New Jersey once worked at the agency.
The spokeswoman said Tuesday in Washington that the passenger ended his time at the department in 2006. She gave no details about his job or why he no longer works for the agency.
The man started screaming nine hours into Monday's 15-hour flight to Newark Liberty Airport. At one point, a passenger says, the man claimed people were trying to poison him. Passengers helped subdue him.
Passengers say the man was clearly not stable. The FBI says he was hospitalized after being taken off the plane.
new jersey, airline security, china, local/state
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Oil slick, debris not from missing Malaysia jet 19 min ago
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- Are store credit cards worth the discount?
- Video: Skydiver's mid-air collision with plane 25 min ago
- Photos: Kevin Grow joins Harlem Globetrotters
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act 3 min ago
- Skydiver's mid-air collision with plane
25 min ago
- 85-year-old grandma outsmarts robber
44 min ago