Bicyclist impaled on fence in Fairmount Park
FAIRMOUNT PARK - June 20, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police say a bicyclist became impaled on a fence in Fairmount Park early Thursday morning.
The incident occurred around 2:00 a.m. when police received a call that led them to Martin Luther King Drive near Black Road.
They say a bicyclist, believed to be in his 40s, was found with an inch and half pipe from a fence impaled in his chest.
Rescuers had to cut the metal fence and leave it inside the victim as he was taken to the hospital in very critical condition.
Police say the man fell off his bicycle and fell into a bush and onto the pole, impaling himself.
The biker's name has not been released.
accident, fairmount park, philadelphia, local/state
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Phila. Airport
- After a Cold Night, Temps Rebound
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Police: Coatesville man died before fire began
- NJ charges 4 with false Sandy aid applications
- Missing plane sent signals to satellite for hours
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Philadelphia Zoo welcomes 2 new tiger cubs