Bicyclist impaled on fence in Fairmount Park
FAIRMOUNT PARK - June 20, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police say a bicyclist became impaled on a fence in Fairmount Park early Thursday morning.
The incident occurred around 2:00 a.m. when police received a call that led them to Martin Luther King Drive near Black Road.
They say a bicyclist, believed to be in his 40s, was found with an inch and half pipe from a fence impaled in his chest.
Rescuers had to cut the metal fence and leave it inside the victim as he was taken to the hospital in very critical condition.
Police say the man fell off his bicycle and fell into a bush and onto the pole, impaling himself.
The biker's name has not been released.
accident, fairmount park, philadelphia, local/state
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's wish
- Record Warmth! 51 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado high school dies
- 6 apartments destroyed in Wilmington fire
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in East Mt. Airy shooting
- $10K reward posted in Delco murder case
- Police search for missing Delco mother 59 min ago
- Woman arrested in fatal North Philly stabbing
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking 59 min ago
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ
- Record Warmth!
51 min ago