Bicyclist impaled on fence in Fairmount Park
FAIRMOUNT PARK - June 20, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police say a bicyclist became impaled on a fence in Fairmount Park early Thursday morning.
The incident occurred around 2:00 a.m. when police received a call that led them to Martin Luther King Drive near Black Road.
They say a bicyclist, believed to be in his 40s, was found with an inch and half pipe from a fence impaled in his chest.
Rescuers had to cut the metal fence and leave it inside the victim as he was taken to the hospital in very critical condition.
Police say the man fell off his bicycle and fell into a bush and onto the pole, impaling himself.
The biker's name has not been released.
accident, fairmount park, philadelphia, local/state
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife 25 min ago
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man shot by off-duty cop during fight ID'd
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Police investigate 2 shootings at illegal Trenton bar
- Man arrested after Phila. police crash, chase ID'd
- Accused wedding crasher thief pleads guilty
- SEPTA, union resume talks to avoid strike
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run 28 min ago
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane mystery
- Photos: Pictures from the 2014 Red Ball