Hundreds of dead fish in Hirsch Lake in Runnemede
RUNNEMEDE, N.J. - June 20, 2013 (WPVI) -- The Department of Environmental Protection says a biologist was sent out to Hirsch Lake in Runnemede, Camden County this morning after hundreds of fish were found dead.
The lake, which is called both Hirsch Lake and Runnemede Lake, is located along Singley Avenue.
Between 300 and 500 carp were found dead in the lake Thursday morning.
It appears that only the carp are being killed - no other plant or wildlife in or around the lake seem to be affected. Officials suspect a pathogen specifically affecting the carp may be responsible for the sudden fish kill.
Biologists are hoping to test the tissue of a living but sickly carp to determine if their speculation of a pathogen being the cause is correct.
camden county, new jersey, animals, local/state
- Mug shot released of McNabb after Ariz. arrest 3 min ago
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Brandywine Park flasher surrenders
- $105,000 taken in Tacony armored car heist
- Reward offered in poisoning of puppy 38 min ago
- 1 dead in cement truck, car crash in Levittown 24 min ago
- Beau Biden to run for governor in Del. 30 min ago
- 5 injured in 7 vehicle wreck on I-95 in Del.
- Mom surrenders after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- Popular chocolate maker shut down by city
- Teen urinates in Oregon drinking water supply