Hundreds of dead fish in Hirsch Lake in Runnemede
RUNNEMEDE, N.J. - June 20, 2013 (WPVI) -- The Department of Environmental Protection says a biologist was sent out to Hirsch Lake in Runnemede, Camden County this morning after hundreds of fish were found dead.
The lake, which is called both Hirsch Lake and Runnemede Lake, is located along Singley Avenue.
Between 300 and 500 carp were found dead in the lake Thursday morning.
It appears that only the carp are being killed - no other plant or wildlife in or around the lake seem to be affected. Officials suspect a pathogen specifically affecting the carp may be responsible for the sudden fish kill.
Biologists are hoping to test the tissue of a living but sickly carp to determine if their speculation of a pathogen being the cause is correct.
camden county, new jersey, animals, local/state
- Police probe pizza deliveryman shooting in SW Phila.
- Sunny, blustery winds today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Woman crashes into tractor trailer in Mayfair 10 min ago
- Police search for gunman in bar shooting 19 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Family escapes burning home in Bucks Co.
- Forest fire up to 1500 acres in Cumberland Co. 7 min ago
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say
- Dozens charged in alleged slip and fall scheme
- Photos: 23 wanted in Phila. insurance fraud scheme
- Photos: People's 'Most Beautiful' list of 2014
- Philadelphia Eagles 2014 game schedule
- Police search for gunman in bar shooting
19 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos