Police: Severe neglect led to disabled Pa. man's death
SCRANTON, Pa. - June 20, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police say a 32-year-old Pennsylvania man with Down syndrome was so severely neglected by his family that his body was covered in scabies and he weighed just 69 pounds when he died.
Now his mother and two sisters are charged with murder in the March 20 death of Robert Gensiak.
Fifty-nine-year-old Susan Gensiak and her daughters, 35-year-old Joan and 24-year-old Rebekah, were charged Wednesday with third-degree murder, involuntary manslaughter and neglect of care for a dependent person. All three were jailed following their arraignments.
Investigators say the suspects were concerned about losing his government assistance if they had placed him in a personal care facility.
pennsylvania, homicide, local/state
- Teacher says he was fired because he is gay
- Wintry Weekend 27 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 2nd suspect surrenders in Christmas package theft
- Temple University cuts 7 intercollegiate sports
- SEPTA bus strikes and kills man
- Residents displaced after high-rise fire
- Man freed from under train on Broad Street Line
- NKorea says it deported US tourist and war vet
- Victim ID'd in deadly Wilmington hit-and-run
- Video released in pizza delivery driver shooting
- Mega Million jackpot reaches $297 Million
- Elkins Park sisters treated at KoP by Make-a-Wish
- Wintry Weekend
27 min ago