Police: Severe neglect led to disabled Pa. man's death
SCRANTON, Pa. - June 20, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police say a 32-year-old Pennsylvania man with Down syndrome was so severely neglected by his family that his body was covered in scabies and he weighed just 69 pounds when he died.
Now his mother and two sisters are charged with murder in the March 20 death of Robert Gensiak.
Fifty-nine-year-old Susan Gensiak and her daughters, 35-year-old Joan and 24-year-old Rebekah, were charged Wednesday with third-degree murder, involuntary manslaughter and neglect of care for a dependent person. All three were jailed following their arraignments.
Investigators say the suspects were concerned about losing his government assistance if they had placed him in a personal care facility.
pennsylvania, homicide, local/state
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Milder Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown 19 min ago
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
19 min ago