Police: Severe neglect led to disabled Pa. man's death
SCRANTON, Pa. - June 20, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police say a 32-year-old Pennsylvania man with Down syndrome was so severely neglected by his family that his body was covered in scabies and he weighed just 69 pounds when he died.
Now his mother and two sisters are charged with murder in the March 20 death of Robert Gensiak.
Fifty-nine-year-old Susan Gensiak and her daughters, 35-year-old Joan and 24-year-old Rebekah, were charged Wednesday with third-degree murder, involuntary manslaughter and neglect of care for a dependent person. All three were jailed following their arraignments.
Investigators say the suspects were concerned about losing his government assistance if they had placed him in a personal care facility.
pennsylvania, homicide, local/state
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- Warmer Weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Overbrook shooting
- Multi-vehicle crash on Schuylkill Expressway
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Video released of AK-47 robbery in Wynnefield
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- Video: Flyers' Hartnell co-authors children's book