NJ Gov. Christie is still a Dallas Cowboys fan
SAYREVILLE, N.J. (AP) - June 20, 2013 (WPVI) -- New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie surprised some schoolchildren when he told them his favorite football team is the Dallas Cowboys.
His pronouncement Tuesday at a school in central New Jersey drew shouts, gasps and some boos.
But his love of the Cowboys is no secret. In 2010, the then-rookie governor proclaimed his favorite sports teams to be the Cowboys, the New York Mets, the New York Knicks and the New York Rangers.
Christie says those are teams he grew up rooting for.
The governor, now running for re-election, joked that being a Cowboys fan "is not the smartest thing for the governor of New Jersey to be."
The Cowboys are hated division rivals of both the Giants and the Philadelphia Eagles, which also have a big New Jersey fan base.
gov. chris christie, new jersey, local/state
- Robber slashed with knife; suspect's mom talks 24 min ago
- Periods of rain today, getting cooler
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Nelson Mandela dies at age 95
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- Center City rape victims speaks to Action News 56 min ago
- 2 women hospitalized after Schuylkill Expy. crash
- Mattress catches fire in townhouse in Whitemarsh
- Police raid alleged chop shop in North Philadelphia
- Feds accused of targeting minorities in stash house stings
- Surveillance video shows Christmas package theft
- Photos: 21 suspects ID'd in Collingdale drug sweep
- Police: Teen stole Porsche part from Paul Walker crash
- Robber slashed with knife; suspect's mom...
24 min ago