Parkside Sunday school teacher arrested for child porn
PARKSIDE, Pa. - June 20, 2013 (WPVI) -- A Sunday school teacher from Parkside, Delaware County has been arrested on child pornography charges.
Delaware County investigators say Steven Almond of West Forestview Road had a habit of watching child pornography.
"In this particular case, there was an image of a child only 5 years old," said Delaware County District Attorney Jack Whelan. "It's just incredible, and as a parent, disturbing."
The Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force caught onto Almond's alleged perversion last week.
Detectives say he was sharing child porn from his Parkside home.
The investigation began after they were able to track the download of explicit child pornography videos to a single computer.
Using that computer's IP address, they were able to identify Almond as the suspect after receiving information from his internet service provider.
Detectives then questioned Almond at his home and he allegedly confessed.
Police say they seized computers, flash drives, CDs and DVDs and found more than 50 child porn videos.
Neighbors told Action News the 54-year-old lived with his brother.
"They were weird, to an extent you never really saw them," said neighbor Ken Bell. "You hear them come and go from work. Other than that, nothing."
"It just scares me to not know who your neighbors are," said Sharon LaValley. "There's a lot of kids in this neighborhood."
Investigators have other concerns. Almond isn't married and has no kids, yet he seems to gravitate towards children.
He lives across the street from Parkside Elementary School and teaches first grade Sunday school as a deacon at Middletown Presbyterian Church.
Authorities say he also coached basketball and volleyball in the Christian youth organization Upward Bound.
"The people that view it may also be those individuals that would be prone to commit crimes against children," said Whelan.
At this point, investigators say there is no evidence Almond assaulted any children himself, and he told investigators he has never done so.
We reached out to the both the Upward Bound youth organization and Middletown Presbyterian but have not heard back.
Almond remains behind bars on $350,000 cash bail.
pennsylvania, delaware county, child porn, local/state
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- Frost Advisory Overnight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Crescentville shooting 39 min ago
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear 18 min ago
- Heist investigation leads to Roxborough apartment
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- Police: Elderly man targeted in Chester home invasion
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 46 min ago
- Reward offered in poisoning of puppy
- Police: Brandywine Park flasher surrenders
- WWII vet gets anonymous surprise in Warminster
- Beau Biden to run for governor in Del.
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear
18 min ago