Students, staff, parents run to raise money for Masterman
PHILADELPHIA - June 20, 2013 (WPVI) -- Because of the Philadelphia school budget crisis, students at the prestigious Masterman School have taken the funding of school activities into their own hands.
More than 200 students, parents and teachers took off running as part of their second annual fundraiser.
"Some of them are doing 100 laps," said Masterman parent Anne Rock. "Mr. Borda, who is a teacher here, is doing 100 laps."
"Our schools are not being funded adequately," said Luigi Borda. "Quite frankly, it's a disgrace."
Masterman is losing its assistant principal, several counselors and supplies to budget cuts. So students, families and staff ran and walked laps around the school.
Pledges were made to raise money for each lap.
"Our city and state have really pushed us to the wayside and forced us to have to raise money to support our students," said teacher Nichole Geiger.
One student, Addie Weyrich, said she'll run as much as she can to get her senior year back.
"I've been waiting since I was five to be the senior in my musical, to make it to the state championship for sports, and now I'm being told that won't happen," she said.
Fifth grader Julian Richardson said "They're cutting gym, music, art programs. But hopefully we'll keep those if we keep running laps."
Last year's run brought in more than $10,000 for Masterman. Teachers hope to raise $20,000 this year.
philadelphia, school, philadelphia school district, local/state, lisa thomas-laury
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- 3 frigid days, another weekend storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death 11 min ago
- Prosecutor: no charges against George Zimmerman 29 min ago
- Protestors block ICE building in Spring Garden 39 min ago
- Shooting victim drives to Broad St. police station 12 min ago
- Parts of Christiana Mall lose power 48 min ago
- New video shows deadly Asiana jet crash
- Woman killed in Germantown was Villanova prof.
- On video: Robber dives thru window, attacks clerk
- Camden man accused of robbing 5 banks in 1 month
- Women sentenced in murder of Danny DeGennaro