Alleged child rapist from Montgomery County found in Costa Rica
NORRISTOWN, Pa. - June 21, 2013 (WPVI) -- A fugitive wanted for the alleged rape of an underage girl in Upper Dublin, Montgomery County three years ago was found in Panama and later arrested in Costa Rica, officials say.
Harold Eugene Smith was charged by the Upper Dublin Police with the sexual assault of a child between 2007 and 2010. Smith, however, never showed at a scheduled pre-trial conference on January 10, 2011, and an extensive investigation failed to uncover Smith's whereabouts.
Then in October of 2012, Montgomery County authorities received a tip from an American citizen living in Panama who said he came across a person he believed to be Smith while prospecting for gold in a jungle-like area. The tipster said he confirmed Smith's identity on Montgomery County's Most Wanted website.
Authorities followed up on the lead, but by the time they responded to the area Smith had left the location.
A federal arrest warrant was issued for Smith on October 16, 2012, charging him with Unlawful Flight to Avoid Prosecution.
Investigators later learned Smith had crossed the border into Costa Rica, and on June 2, 2013, Smith was apprehended by Costa Rican authorities. He was deported to Miami, Florida, and on June 20th law enforcement officials from Montgomery County took Smith into custody in Miami and returned him to Pennsylvania.
Smith's bail has since been revoked. He is now at the Montgomery County Correctional Facility awaiting trial.
montgomery county, pennsylvania, child sex assault, sex assault, local/state
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Milder Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ