Firefly music festival kicks off in Dover
DOVER, Del. - June 21, 2013 (WPVI) -- Tens of thousands of music fans are converging on Delaware's capital city for a three-day rock 'n' roll festival, and transportation officials say they're seeing traffic backups.
The Firefly Music Festival opened Friday on a wooded tract near Dover Downs speedway.
Department of Transportation officials said heavy traffic will likely continue throughout much of the day.
They're urging festival goers driving south on Route 1 to take Exit 95, Bay Road, turn right at the first signal, which is Bay Road, and continue on Bay Road to northbound Route 13 and Leipsic Road.
Gov. Jack Markell planned to join festival director Greg Bostrom and Dover Motorsports CEO Denis McGlynn at a news conference Friday celebrating the event.
This year's lineup the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Vampire Weekend, the Avett Brothers, Foster the People and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.
delaware, dover, music, local/state
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife 5 min ago
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man shot by off-duty cop during fight ID'd
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Police investigate 2 shootings at illegal Trenton bar
- Man arrested after Phila. police crash, chase ID'd 47 min ago
- Accused wedding crasher thief pleads guilty
- SEPTA, union resume talks to avoid strike
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run 8 min ago
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane mystery 50 min ago
- Photos: Pictures from the 2014 Red Ball