Body found during search for missing woman in Gloucester Township
GLOUCESTER TWP., N.J. - June 24, 2013 (WPVI) -- A body was found on Monday morning during the search for a missing woman in Gloucester Township, Camden County.
The discovery was made around 11:47 a.m. in the area of the Lakeview Apartments at 590 Lower Landing Road.
Search teams had been out since about 8:00 a.m. combing the area for signs of 59-year-old Carol Reiff who hasn't been heard from since Thursday.
Residents were already on edge since her disappearance.
"A couple people in my unit couldn't believe it because nothing happens in here," Rich Mulder of Gloucester Township said.
Reiff lives in the apartment complex, about a quarter mile away from where the body was discovered today.
She was supposed to visit family in Manahawkin on Friday, but never showed up.
Police found her car in front of her building, but no sign of her.
Reiff's family was notified that a body was found near her home.
Now, investigators are awaiting autopsy results.
"There has been no identity made of that person. There is no cause of death. All circumstances surrounding that death are all pending. This is a very recent and very active investigation," Gloucester Township Police Chief Harry Earle said.
Neighbors said they often see Reiff in the laundromat and out jogging around the complex. She is always friendly and says hello. They're concerned for her safety and the safety of their own families.
"I have small kids. I know she was an avid jogger that's what I am hearing. It's just scary. It's just too close to home for me," Danielle Killian of Gloucester Township said.
Anyone with information should contact Gloucester Township Police at 856-842-5560.
new jersey, camden county, missing person, body found, local/state
- 4 charged with murder in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- Police investigate tire slashings in South Philadelphia
- Police investigate truck accident on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Police investigate double shooting in Mantua
- 3 rescued after car plunges into Delaware pond
- Multi-vehicle crash on Schuylkill Expressway
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish