Delaware County man accused of shouting racial slurs in Camden
CAMDEN, N.J. - June 24, 2013 (WPVI) -- Authorities say a man attending a Toby Keith concert in New Jersey's most impoverished city climbed a fence into a housing complex, waved a Confederate flag and shouted racial slurs at residents.
Thirty-three-year-old Darren Walp of Ridley Park, Pa., was arrested in Camden Saturday. He's charged with bias intimidation, harassment and criminal trespassing and is in the Camden County Jail with bail of $5,000.
Walp was arrested Saturday evening in the crowd at the Susquehanna Bank Center. The concert venue is near the Royal Court apartments in a city where most residents are minorities.
Camden County Police Chief Scott Thomson says he's asking the United States Attorney's Office to review the case and possibly take over the prosecution.
It was not immediately clear if Walp had a lawyer.
camden, camden county, new jersey, local/state
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's wish
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado high school dies
- 6 apartments destroyed in Wilmington fire
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in East Mt. Airy shooting
- $10K reward posted in Delco murder case
- Police search for missing Delco mother
- Woman arrested in fatal North Philly stabbing
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ