Journey through the history of 1968
PHILADELPHIA - June 25, 2013 (WPVI) -- If you were around 45 years ago, you're invited to attend and comment. If not, the new exhibit, "1968", is a great opportunity to understand a pivotal year in American society.
It's featured now through September 2nd at the National Constitution Center. The exhibit lets you literally walk through the year, month-by-month.
It touches all the landmarks...social upheaval, politics, the space race, and, of course, the Vietnam War. Along the way, you'll come to understand how factions in our society viewed all these things, and how they responded.
This was a time when baby boomers were coming of age. Unlike previous generations, they were raised to speak their minds, and did...often by marching in the streets.
It was the height of the civil rights movement, and the women's movement was just gathering traction. So a lot of the ways Americans lived their lives were under challenge.
Along the way, you'll see interesting artifacts...everything from black-and-white television to eight-track tapes to one of the Apollo capsules that ventured to the moon.
Posters, clothing and furniture, too. Everything you see will evoke memories if you're a certain age, or prove instructive if you're younger.
You'll certainly leave with an understanding of how life today has a lot of its roots in the world of 45 years ago.
The National Constitution Center is on Arch Street between 5th and 6th in Old City Philadelphia, open every day.
For information, access the National Constitution Center or phone 215-409-6600.
- AccuWeather is Tracking More Snow 28 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Transformer fire sparks SEPTA delays 43 min ago
- Video: Downed power line in Lower Merion
- Video: Katherine Scott reports on icy AM conditions
- Video: John Rawlins reports on a slushy start
- Obama heading to South Africa 22 min ago
- Casino patron abducted, robbed and shot
- 1 dead, 50+ vehicles involved in Pa. Turnpike crashes
- Video: Snow-lovers sled down Art Museum steps
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Photos: Pictures from Paul Walker memorial rally
- AccuWeather is Tracking More Snow
28 min ago