1 dead, 1 hurt in fiery crash on Lincoln Drive
LINCOLN DRIVE - June 25, 2013 (WPVI) -- One person is dead and another seriously injured after a fiery head-on crash along Lincoln Drive in Philadelphia Tuesday.
Eyewitness video captured the fiery scene after a pickup and Ford Taurus collided on Lincoln Drive at Morris shortly after 4:30 p.m.
What it doesn't show is the heartbreaking struggle, as one of the drivers tried to dislodge his leg in the mangled metal to escape the flames.
One man, who doesn't want to be identified, witnessed it.
"I never seen anything like it in my life. It was just so sad; I just don't know what to say about it," the witness said.
He tried to help the trapped victim, but the flames and a series of small explosions forced him back.
"It burned up so fast and so quickly that a fire extinguisher couldn't even do anything with the flames. It was making these loud noises," the witness said.
Firefighters worked to put out the flames.
A mixture of water and fire retardant trickled down Lincoln Drive.
Police say it appears the deceased was speeding in the Ford Taurus, crossed into oncoming traffic, and collided with the pickup truck.
The truck driver was able to escape the wreckage.
"The other driver got out, stumbled, and then a friend helped him and sat him on the curb," the witness said.
The names of the deceased and the survivor have not been released.
The injured person was taken to Albert Einstein Medical Center. We are told his injuries are not considered life threatening.
philadelphia, accident, local/state, chad pradelli
- Snow today, heavy at times
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps
- Gunman fires shots through window, teens wounded 25 min ago
- Arrest made in Beats headphone murder
- 2 arrested for violent Center City attack
- Thief steals $17K from Philadelphia charter school
- 2 PSU students charged with ethnic intimidation
- Teen shot and killed in Wilmington
- 2K get meningitis B vaccinations at Princeton
- US Airways, American merger complete
- Rachael Ray's cookbook competition