1 dead, 1 hurt in fiery crash on Lincoln Drive
LINCOLN DRIVE - June 25, 2013 (WPVI) -- One person is dead and another seriously injured after a fiery head-on crash along Lincoln Drive in Philadelphia Tuesday.
Eyewitness video captured the fiery scene after a pickup and Ford Taurus collided on Lincoln Drive at Morris shortly after 4:30 p.m.
What it doesn't show is the heartbreaking struggle, as one of the drivers tried to dislodge his leg in the mangled metal to escape the flames.
One man, who doesn't want to be identified, witnessed it.
"I never seen anything like it in my life. It was just so sad; I just don't know what to say about it," the witness said.
He tried to help the trapped victim, but the flames and a series of small explosions forced him back.
"It burned up so fast and so quickly that a fire extinguisher couldn't even do anything with the flames. It was making these loud noises," the witness said.
Firefighters worked to put out the flames.
A mixture of water and fire retardant trickled down Lincoln Drive.
Police say it appears the deceased was speeding in the Ford Taurus, crossed into oncoming traffic, and collided with the pickup truck.
The truck driver was able to escape the wreckage.
"The other driver got out, stumbled, and then a friend helped him and sat him on the curb," the witness said.
The names of the deceased and the survivor have not been released.
The injured person was taken to Albert Einstein Medical Center. We are told his injuries are not considered life threatening.
philadelphia, accident, local/state, chad pradelli
- 7-alarm fire destroys homes in Sea Isle City 37 min ago
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- 76ers owner Harris calls 19-win season 'success' 49 min ago
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- Bride gets help after banquet closes
- Worth the wait: Easter treats in Philadelphia
- 7-alarm fire destroys homes in Sea Isle City
37 min ago