Cleveland Browns rookie charged with attempted murder in NJ
PASSAIC, N.J. - June 26, 2013 (WPVI) -- A Cleveland Browns rookie is charged with attempted murder for allegedly punching a man outside a club in northern New Jersey.
Ausar Walcott turned himself in to Passaic police Tuesday after he was identified as a suspect in the incident that happened around 3 a.m. Sunday.
Authorities tell The Record newspaper the 23-year-old Hackensack native and former University of Virginia player punched 24-year-old Derrick Jones in the head just after The Palace Gentlemen's Club closed. Police say Jones, who is from New York City, is in critical condition.
Walcott is held on $500,000 bail. It's not clear if he has a defense lawyer.
The linebacker was signed by the Browns last month. In a statement, the team says it is "aware of the situation."
new jersey, assault, beating, fight, local/state
- Partial house collapse in Strawberry Mansion 37 min ago
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire 56 min ago
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion 27 min ago
- 2 injured in NJ Turnpike crash in Mt. Laurel
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Cabbie allegedly locks doors in credit card dispute
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp....
27 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos