Cleveland Browns rookie charged with attempted murder in NJ
PASSAIC, N.J. - June 26, 2013 (WPVI) -- A Cleveland Browns rookie is charged with attempted murder for allegedly punching a man outside a club in northern New Jersey.
Ausar Walcott turned himself in to Passaic police Tuesday after he was identified as a suspect in the incident that happened around 3 a.m. Sunday.
Authorities tell The Record newspaper the 23-year-old Hackensack native and former University of Virginia player punched 24-year-old Derrick Jones in the head just after The Palace Gentlemen's Club closed. Police say Jones, who is from New York City, is in critical condition.
Walcott is held on $500,000 bail. It's not clear if he has a defense lawyer.
The linebacker was signed by the Browns last month. In a statement, the team says it is "aware of the situation."
new jersey, assault, beating, fight, local/state
- Snow walloping Philadelphia area
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- School Closings & Delays
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 1 dead, 50+ vehicles involved in Pa. Turnpike crashes 4 min ago
- Video: Widener U. students help stuck drivers
- Nearly 1 foot fo snow in parts of Delaware
- Eagles beat Lions 34-20 in the snow
- Video: Time lapse of snow at the Linc
- Photos: Images of Sunday's winter storm 15 min ago
- 6abc.com Flight Tracker
- Check local traffic on 6abc.com!
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands