Woman found dead in Chester ID'd, son charged with murder
CHESTER, Pa. - June 28, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police have identified the woman found dead in her Chester apartment and officially charged her son with murder.
It was around 10:00 a.m. Thursday when police were called out to the report of a dead body in an apartment on the 2700 block of Madison Street.
The victim has been identified as 52-year-old Joleen Marie Smith.
Her son 28-year-old Patrick Smith faces first and third degree murder charges.
Sources tell Action News that the victim's daughter, who lives in the home, had not heard from her mother for about a week.
The daughter then called building management to check on her. They, in turn, called police who made the gruesome discovery.
Smith's cause of death has been ruled homicide by strangulation.
Police are unsure how long the victim's son stayed in the home with the body.
An investigation continues.
delaware county, chester, pennsylvania, body found, local/state
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Gas leak, evacuations reported in Frankford 54 min ago
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Partial house collapse in Strawberry Mansion
- 2 injured in NJ Turnpike crash in Mt. Laurel
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos