Police return where missing woman Carol Reiff found dead
GLOUCESTER TWP., N.J. - June 27, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police launched another search of the Camden County neighborhood where a woman was found dead on Monday.
The body of 59-year-old Carol Reiff was discovered near her home at the Lakeview Apartments in Gloucester Township.
Her remains were formally identified on Wednesday.
However, authorities have not been able to determine a cause of death because her remains were so decayed.
Carol Reiff last spoke to family members last Thursday evening. She had plans to travel to Manahawkin to visit family on Friday morning. When she didn't arrive, her family contacted police.
Police and prosecutors are calling the death 'suspicious.' It has not been ruled homicide, but the case is being treated as a criminal investigation due to the circumstances surrounding how and where Reiff was found.
"I really do think it was a homicide. I mean, the lady went missing for three days. They had dogs out here searching. It just doesn't add up," said neighbor Barbara Vecchio.
"Suffice to say the scene, the nature of the scene, the condition of the body, lead us to believe that potentially there is a crime that took place here," said Jason Laughlin of the Camden County Prosecutor's Office.
Investigators say they want people to report anything that might have seemed out of the ordinary.
"We want to hear from them even if they may not think it's important," said Chief Harry Earle of the Gloucester Twp. Police.
The Citizens Crime Commission is offering a $1,000 reward for information on how Reiff died. The prosecutor's office says Reiff's family is working to increase the reward fund.
new jersey, camden county, missing person, body found, local/state
- 7-alarm fire destroys homes in Sea Isle City 39 min ago
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- 76ers owner Harris calls 19-win season 'success' 51 min ago
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- Bride gets help after banquet closes
- Worth the wait: Easter treats in Philadelphia
- 7-alarm fire destroys homes in Sea Isle City
39 min ago