Police return where missing woman Carol Reiff found dead
GLOUCESTER TWP., N.J. - June 27, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police launched another search of the Camden County neighborhood where a woman was found dead on Monday.
The body of 59-year-old Carol Reiff was discovered near her home at the Lakeview Apartments in Gloucester Township.
Her remains were formally identified on Wednesday.
However, authorities have not been able to determine a cause of death because her remains were so decayed.
Carol Reiff last spoke to family members last Thursday evening. She had plans to travel to Manahawkin to visit family on Friday morning. When she didn't arrive, her family contacted police.
Police and prosecutors are calling the death 'suspicious.' It has not been ruled homicide, but the case is being treated as a criminal investigation due to the circumstances surrounding how and where Reiff was found.
"I really do think it was a homicide. I mean, the lady went missing for three days. They had dogs out here searching. It just doesn't add up," said neighbor Barbara Vecchio.
"Suffice to say the scene, the nature of the scene, the condition of the body, lead us to believe that potentially there is a crime that took place here," said Jason Laughlin of the Camden County Prosecutor's Office.
Investigators say they want people to report anything that might have seemed out of the ordinary.
"We want to hear from them even if they may not think it's important," said Chief Harry Earle of the Gloucester Twp. Police.
The Citizens Crime Commission is offering a $1,000 reward for information on how Reiff died. The prosecutor's office says Reiff's family is working to increase the reward fund.
new jersey, camden county, missing person, body found, local/state
- Apartments evacuated in Bucks Co. hazmat investigation 20 min ago
- Sunny and Cooler!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash 45 min ago
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd. 37 min ago
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ