Second arrest in case of North Jersey teen killed after graduation
PATERSON, N.J. - July 2, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police have made a second arrest in the slaying of a northern New Jersey teen who was gunned down hours after his high school graduation.
Authorities have charged 24-year-old Bishma Cowan with murder and robbery in the death of 18-year-old Isaac Rinas.
Authorities earlier arrested a former Wayne Valley High School schoolmate of Rinas. 18-year-old Casey Cole is charged with felony murder, robbery and conspiracy to commit robbery Bail was set at $2 million cash..A call to Cole's attorney went unanswered Friday.
Eighteen year-old Isaac Rinas and a friend drove to a blighted, dangerous neighborhood in Paterson after Rinas had received his diploma Wednesday from Wayne Valley High School, according to police.
Police told The Record newspaper the teens parked and a man entered the vehicle, brandished a gun and demanded money from the friend.
Police said Rinas and the gunman got out of the car and the man fired one shot into Rinas' neck before fleeing.
Chief assistant prosecutor Michael DeMarco of the Passaic County Prosecutor's Office said investigators were not jumping to any conclusions about what Rinas and his friend were doing in the neighborhood.
But The Record reported the area where the shooting occurred is known by authorities as a haven for gang activity, drugs and gun violence.
The newspaper quoted a neighbor as saying that Rinas was supposed to attend a Project Graduation party sponsored by the school.
The event was started during the 1990s as part of a campaign to steer young people to controlled parties, without alcohol or drugs, after proms and graduation ceremonies.
The city of Paterson is about a 10-minute drive from Wayne, a community of 54,000.
Information from: The Record (Woodland Park, N.J.),
new jersey, homicide, local/state
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Phila. Airport 59 min ago
- After a Cold Night, Temps Rebound
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Police: Coatesville man died before fire began
- NJ charges 4 with false Sandy aid applications
- Missing plane sent signals to satellite for hours 13 min ago
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion 31 min ago
- Philadelphia Zoo welcomes 2 new tiger cubs
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion
31 min ago