Second arrest in case of North Jersey teen killed after graduation
PATERSON, N.J. - July 2, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police have made a second arrest in the slaying of a northern New Jersey teen who was gunned down hours after his high school graduation.
Authorities have charged 24-year-old Bishma Cowan with murder and robbery in the death of 18-year-old Isaac Rinas.
Authorities earlier arrested a former Wayne Valley High School schoolmate of Rinas. 18-year-old Casey Cole is charged with felony murder, robbery and conspiracy to commit robbery Bail was set at $2 million cash..A call to Cole's attorney went unanswered Friday.
Eighteen year-old Isaac Rinas and a friend drove to a blighted, dangerous neighborhood in Paterson after Rinas had received his diploma Wednesday from Wayne Valley High School, according to police.
Police told The Record newspaper the teens parked and a man entered the vehicle, brandished a gun and demanded money from the friend.
Police said Rinas and the gunman got out of the car and the man fired one shot into Rinas' neck before fleeing.
Chief assistant prosecutor Michael DeMarco of the Passaic County Prosecutor's Office said investigators were not jumping to any conclusions about what Rinas and his friend were doing in the neighborhood.
But The Record reported the area where the shooting occurred is known by authorities as a haven for gang activity, drugs and gun violence.
The newspaper quoted a neighbor as saying that Rinas was supposed to attend a Project Graduation party sponsored by the school.
The event was started during the 1990s as part of a campaign to steer young people to controlled parties, without alcohol or drugs, after proms and graduation ceremonies.
The city of Paterson is about a 10-minute drive from Wayne, a community of 54,000.
Information from: The Record (Woodland Park, N.J.),
new jersey, homicide, local/state
- London theater partially collapses; 80 injured 48 min ago
- Record Weekend Warmth
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk 34 min ago
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Video captures Laundromat robbery
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings
- London theater partially collapses; 80...
48 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos