Estate of slain NJ radio host April Kauffman up for auction
LINWOOD, N.J. - June 28, 2013 (WPVI) -- The husband of April Kauffman, a South Jersey radio host killed in 2012, is putting her estate up for auction.
Kauffman was found in her Linwood, New Jersey home in May 2012.
Her killer has never been brought to justice and her husband Dr. James Kauffman has never been identified as a suspect.
Lee Darby and Peggy O'Boyle, Kauffman's longtime friends, have a list of keepsakes they are on the hunt for at the South Jersey auction house.
Kauffman's estate is one of several up for auction Sunday.
Kauffman's daughter Kim Pack says she was never given a chance to take any mementos.
At Friday's midday preview they catalogued what friends hope to successfully bid on for Pack.
"We hope to be able to procure the most precious treasures that April would say she wanted Kimberly to have," said Darby.
At least a dozen friends will be bidding Sunday.
"Just little simple things, they're critical to maybe a healing process," said Darby.
The auction house did not want cameras inside but online the items could be viewed online.
The keepsakes friends hope to get include a witches hat Kauffman wore with her daughter after dressing up one Halloween, a tea hat she wore to her daughter's baby shower, plus many ceramic keepsakes and china sets.
At the auction house, a bulk of the couple's furniture, including the bed Kauffman was discovered next to will now be sold.
Friends say so far they've raised $600 on a Facebook page to buy back many of the keepsakes that mean more to Pack and her two sons.
"Just some kind of comfort, a hug from her mom, to have something she would feel - just something," said O'Boyle.
Action News reached out to Dr. Kauffman's attorney and went to the home where sources say he has been staying but received no response.
The house he shared with Kauffman is now for sale.
Meanwhile Kauffman's daughter spoke to Action News by phone and says she has only received some of her mom's clothes and is not sure if she will attend the auction.
homicide, new jersey, local/state
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator
- AccuWeather: Tracking light snow tonight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car 50 min ago
- Police: Man strikes own brother in hit and run
- Berks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas
- 1 wounded in Lakewood drive-by shooting
- 2 men, sitting in SUV, shot in Chester
- 2 women injured in Overbrook fire
- Crimea votes on Ukraine secession
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by...
50 min ago