Naked man wounded in police-involved shooting in Tioga-Nicetown
TIOGA-NICETOWN - June 29, 2013 (WPVI) -- Officials are investigating a police-involved shooting that wounded a naked man in the city's Tioga-Nicetown section Saturday morning.
Police received several 911 calls reporting a naked man near the intersection of 20th Street and Allegheny Avenue.
Action News was told that the man was seen throwing rocks at passing cars, a SEPTA bus and several business windows and flipping over newspaper boxes.
Two officers from the 39th district arrived around 5:00 a.m. at the scene and encountered the man near the intersection of 21st and Westmoreland Streets.
Officials say the crazed naked man ran up and jumped onto the hood of the patrol car and began smashing out the windshield with the officers inside.
During the incident, police say, the officer in the passenger side pulled out his service weapon and shot the man twice in the chest as he continued to pound on the windshield.
The man then hopped off the patrol car and ran about three blocks before collapsing.
He was rushed to Temple University Hospital and is listed in critical condition.
The officers were not injured and the shooting is under investigation.
police, shooting, tioga, nicetown, philadelphia, local/state
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash 11 min ago
- AccuWeather: Tracking light snow tonight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Police: Man strikes own brother in hit and run
- Berks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas
- 2 men, sitting in SUV, shot in Chester
- Victim critical after stabbing in Frankford
- 2 women injured in Overbrook fire
- Crimea votes on Ukraine secession
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids 43 min ago