Naked man wounded in police-involved shooting in Tioga-Nicetown
TIOGA-NICETOWN - June 29, 2013 (WPVI) -- Officials are investigating a police-involved shooting that wounded a naked man in the city's Tioga-Nicetown section Saturday morning.
Police received several 911 calls reporting a naked man near the intersection of 20th Street and Allegheny Avenue.
Action News was told that the man was seen throwing rocks at passing cars, a SEPTA bus and several business windows and flipping over newspaper boxes.
Two officers from the 39th district arrived around 5:00 a.m. at the scene and encountered the man near the intersection of 21st and Westmoreland Streets.
Officials say the crazed naked man ran up and jumped onto the hood of the patrol car and began smashing out the windshield with the officers inside.
During the incident, police say, the officer in the passenger side pulled out his service weapon and shot the man twice in the chest as he continued to pound on the windshield.
The man then hopped off the patrol car and ran about three blocks before collapsing.
He was rushed to Temple University Hospital and is listed in critical condition.
The officers were not injured and the shooting is under investigation.
police, shooting, tioga, nicetown, philadelphia, local/state
- 1 dead, 5 hurt in Trenton drive-by shooting
- Record Warmth! 27 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's wish
- Crews battle house fire in Elsmere 52 min ago
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado high school dies
- Photos: Snowy owl spotted in Strathmere 18 min ago
- 6 apartments destroyed in Wilmington fire
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in East Mt. Airy shooting
- $10K reward posted in Delco murder case
- Police search for missing Delco mother
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Record Warmth!
27 min ago