Crews resume search for NJ rafting accident victim
KNOWLTON TWP., N.J. - June 30, 2013 (WPVI) -- Emergency responders have suspended their search for a man who went missing after his inflatable raft overturned in the Delaware River in northwestern New Jersey.
Thirty-eight-year-old Gary West of Summit was rafting with a group of several other people Saturday afternoon when the raft he and his 14-year-old daughter were on broke free. It drifted toward the Pennsylvania side of the river and overturned around 1:40 p.m.
The teenager suffered minor injuries before reaching land on the Pennsylvania side, but the other group members couldn't find her father. Authorities said the group had embarked from a campground in Knowlton.
Responders searched for West for several hours before suspending their efforts around 8 p.m. Saturday. The search then resumed early Sunday and continued for about five hours before being suspended around 2 p.m.
State police said three dives into the murky river had produced no results, as did an aerial search and a side scan sonar search of the river bottom from a boat.
Authorities did not immediately say why the search for West was broken off or if it would be resumed. But the suspension came around the time the National Weather Service had issued a flash flood watch for the area.
The accident occurred just hours after officials had issued a warning that the river had crested several feet above normal due to heavy rains upstream.
new jersey, water rescue, accident, local/state
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's wish
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado high school dies
- 6 apartments destroyed in Wilmington fire
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in East Mt. Airy shooting
- $10K reward posted in Delco murder case
- Police search for missing Delco mother
- Woman arrested in fatal North Philly stabbing
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ