$15,000 reward offered in '09 murder of Joe Frazier's grandson
PHILADELPHIA - June 29, 2013 (WPVI) -- Four years ago, late heavyweight champ Joe Frazier lost a grandson to murder, and police are still looking for his killer.
25-year-old Peter Lyde Jr. was his dad's right-hand man in the Laborer's Union.
"He was bigger and stronger than I was. He was a small bear but a teddy bear" said Peter Lyde Sr., father.
Lyde Jr. was a man of his word. On May 31, 2009 a friend asked him to help with security at the Pleasures on the Ridge Tavern on the 2100 block of Ridge Avenue.
Even though he was reluctant, he didn't want to let a friend down.
Around 1:15 a.m. two patrons got into a fight over a seat at the bar, and soon bullets started flying.
A stray bullet struck and killed Lyde Jr., who was the stepson of Judge Jacqui-Frazier Lyde, and grandson of late boxing champ Joe Frazier.
36-year-old Rodney Evans was convicted and sentenced to 22 ½ to 45 years in prison but police say his bullet wasn't the one that killed Lyde Jr.
"When someone takes someone from you, it's not just that one person that's gone. It affects your whole life, it affects all of your children, it affects everybody," said Lyde Sr
The Lyde family and two unions have put together a $15,000 reward for information that leads to the arrest and conviction of the second shooter.
Anyone with information is asked to call is 215-546-TIPS (8477).
crimefighters, philadelphia, shooting, local/state, rick williams
- Pa. Turnpike reopens after multi-vehicle crash
- Temps Soar
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Volleyball coach accused of sex with student
- Shots fired at home in Lower Gwynedd
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly
- Car plunges into lake in Vineland, victims ID'd
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Photos: Pictures of the Pa. Turnpike crash 23 min ago
- Woman's secret Santa turns out to be Bill Gates
- Temps Soar