Disabled vet, cousin tied up in Grays Ferry home invasion
GRAYS FERRY - June 30, 2013 (WPVI) -- A disabled Navy veteran and his cousin, both in their 60s, were tied up during a home invasion and robbery in Grays Ferry.
In the middle of the night inside the home on the 1300 block of South 30th Street, a 67-year-old homeowner and his 63-year-old cousin awoke to guns in their faces.
Both victims did not want to be identified.
"'Just don't kill me, get out of here! Take what you want and get out,' that's what was going through my mind," said the homeowner.
The homeowner, who is also a disabled Navy veteran, says between 3:00 and 4:00 a.m. Sunday, two men broke into his home through the basement.
The masked home invaders ripped off the electric cords to box fans, tied up the men and ransacked the place for at least an hour and a half.
"I ain't never been in the service and I ain't never had a gun to my head and I ain't never had anybody threaten my life like that, that's the first time in my life I was actually scared to death," said the second victim.
Both victims say the thieves stole more than a $1,000 in cash, flat screens, laptops and cameras.
The suspects needed a vehicle to haul off the loot, so they packed up the homeowner's Toyota Camry and stole that too.
Around 12 noon Sunday, a police officer spotted that stolen vehicle on the 1300 block of Grove Street - about a half a mile away from the victim's house.
The disabled vet says he hasn't had any problems since he moved to his street four years ago.
He says police believe he was targeted because he likes to keep his front door open on nice days which he now realizes gives people a clear view of all the electronics in his living room.
"I'm the kind of person, I will help anybody out if I can and everyone around here knows that and I just feel totally violated," said the homeowner.
Meanwhile the suspects remain at large. Anyone with information is urged to contact Philadelphia Police.
philadelphia, grays ferry, home invasion, local/state
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- Freeze Warning overnight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Delco man missing after leaving medical facility
- Puppy poisoned in Mantua, New Jersey
- Lehigh University suspends frat in vandalism case
- All-clear given after Liberty H.S. lockdown
- Ferry sinks off South Korea; hundreds still missing
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Wawa celebrates 50th birthday with big gifts
- Photos: Wawa celebrates 50 years
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man