Phila. police bust pot protest on Independence Mall
INDEPENDENCE MALL - June 30, 2013 (WPVI) -- The rain didn't stop a marijuana protest on Sunday but Philadelphia police sure did.
A large group of marijuana reform activists, who want the drug legalized, had a smoke-out on Independence Mall at 4:20 pm.
Only Action News was there as police, along with federal park rangers, swooped in to arrest the law breakers.
Some of the suspects did not submit to authorities easily. No word on the exact number of arrests.
Meanwhile undeterred organizers say they will be back next month.
philadelphia, independence mall, marijuana, local/state
- 911 calls from Newtown, CT shooting released 12 min ago
- Clouds, some sun, mild today 59 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Walker autopsy complete; 'Fast & Furious 7' halted
- Photos: Paul Walker: Pictures of crash scene, vigil
- Suspect in killing of fmr. Marine surrenders
- Attack in Washington Square caught on camera
- Kutztown coach accused of covering up teen's rape
- Hunting Park standoff ends with surrender
- Toys for Tots: Woman on video was volunteer
- Ocean County police to carry heroin antidote
- Sophia, Jackson most popular baby names of 2013
- Photos: Open House: Pat Croce's $7.95M mansion