SEPTA fare hikes take effect today
July 1, 2013 (WPVI) -- Hopefully you are one of the many SEPTA riders who stocked up on tokens over the weekend, because today fares are going up.
As of midnight, SEPTA's fare hike has gone into effect. This is its first fare hike in three years, and while some riders are resigned to the inevitability of price hikes, others were none too pleased.
Raeneera Ash of West Philadelphia tells Action News, "It's just too much. There's always something with SEPTA. So for it to go up, it's just ridiculous at this point."
The changes to fares include:
SEPTA says many of these changes will begin to establish the foundation for the New Payment Technologies Program, the goal of which is to make travel more convenient and allow for seamless travel through all SEPTA services.
The New Payment Technologies Program is set to be complete in 2015.
For more information on fare changes, visit http://www.septa.org/fares/new/index.html.
philadelphia, SEPTA, local/state
- Very cold today, Saturday storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Sign up for Facebook Flash!
- Interpreter at Mandela event: I was hallucinating 39 min ago
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- Police: Freshman dies after frat ritual in Poconos 47 min ago
- 2 dead after truck and car collide in Mercer County
- Suspicious package found outside Planet Fitness in Olney
- 3 people injured in Roosevelt Boulevard crash 18 min ago
- Suspects tie up 71-year-old in home invasion
- Narcotic officers raid Lacey High School
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- American University campus lockdown lifted
- 3 people injured in Roosevelt Boulevard crash
18 min ago