SEPTA fare hikes take effect today
July 1, 2013 (WPVI) -- Hopefully you are one of the many SEPTA riders who stocked up on tokens over the weekend, because today fares are going up.
As of midnight, SEPTA's fare hike has gone into effect. This is its first fare hike in three years, and while some riders are resigned to the inevitability of price hikes, others were none too pleased.
Raeneera Ash of West Philadelphia tells Action News, "It's just too much. There's always something with SEPTA. So for it to go up, it's just ridiculous at this point."
The changes to fares include:
SEPTA says many of these changes will begin to establish the foundation for the New Payment Technologies Program, the goal of which is to make travel more convenient and allow for seamless travel through all SEPTA services.
The New Payment Technologies Program is set to be complete in 2015.
For more information on fare changes, visit http://www.septa.org/fares/new/index.html.
philadelphia, SEPTA, local/state
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Video: 5,000 turn out for Easter service in Mt. Airy
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment
- Man found shot in minivan in Tioga-Nicetown
- Girl hospitalized after near-drowning in Philly hotel
- 2 injured after car hits Camden police cruiser
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Divers pull more bodies from sunken South Korean ferry
- Video: Snowmobiler charged by angry moose