SEPTA fare hikes take effect today
July 1, 2013 (WPVI) -- Hopefully you are one of the many SEPTA riders who stocked up on tokens over the weekend, because today fares are going up.
As of midnight, SEPTA's fare hike has gone into effect. This is its first fare hike in three years, and while some riders are resigned to the inevitability of price hikes, others were none too pleased.
Raeneera Ash of West Philadelphia tells Action News, "It's just too much. There's always something with SEPTA. So for it to go up, it's just ridiculous at this point."
The changes to fares include:
SEPTA says many of these changes will begin to establish the foundation for the New Payment Technologies Program, the goal of which is to make travel more convenient and allow for seamless travel through all SEPTA services.
The New Payment Technologies Program is set to be complete in 2015.
For more information on fare changes, visit http://www.septa.org/fares/new/index.html.
philadelphia, SEPTA, local/state
- SEPTA unveils strike plan; union says strike unlikely 5 min ago
- Milder this afternoon, snow possible Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL 12 min ago
- Photos: Pictures from PHL after landing gear collapse
- Investigator: Missing plane flew over Malaysia 9 min ago
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- Truck overturns on Paoli Pike; 1 injury
- Drunk driving suspected in Center City crash
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Teen father arrested for biting nose off infant
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- SEPTA unveils strike plan; union says...
5 min ago
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
12 min ago